Housing Information

Lyon County is a great place to live!

Lyon County is an excellent place to live and work. The environment offers the security and peace of a classic rural Midwestern community.

The communities of Lyon County offer a wide choice of housing types and architecture styles. Homes and lots in new sub-divisions and traditional neighborhoods are available in a variety of price levels.  Apartments and rental homes are available in all communities. Low-income housing and subsidized rent programs are also available.

Lyon County Has Strengthened in Residential Real Estate Ownership by 0.8%, According to the 2010 Census

The 2010 Census reports Lyon County, Iowa decreased in housing units by 90, or 2%, since the 2000 Census. At the same time, the State of Iowa increased in housing dwelling units by 103,906, or 8%.

Compared to the US, Lyon County has a very low amount of unoccupied residential properties. 406, or 8.4%, are currently vacant in Lyon County, Iowa. Broken down, of the 406 unoccupied housing units, 15.8% are the market to be sold, while 22.9% are listed for lease.

From 2000 to 2010, owner-occupied residential properties in Lyon County have increased by 0.8%. According to the 2010 Census, there were 3,669 (82.6%) owner-occupied residential properties, while there were 773 (17.4%) units were rented. Lyon County has a smaller portion properties rented than the State of Iowa, which reportedly saw 27.9% of residential units occupied by renters.

Compared to other counties in the United States, Lyon County has a very low level of residential real estate that is minority-owned. 0.8% of housing units are owned by minorities in Lyon County; while in the United States 21.7% and in the State of Iowa 4.7% of residential housing units are owned by minorities.

Black reported being renters the highest percent in Lyon County. 50.0% the Black Census group occupies a rented housing unit.

Datasource:  U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2010 Summary File 1. For more information, please visit the US Census website or visit our Request Census Data section and file a request.