Located on a plateau on the eastern bank of the Rock River, the city was named after the River Doon, made famous as the subject of Robert Burns' poem, Ye Banks and Braes o' Bonnie Doon. Founded by G.W. Bowers and A.H. Davison on September 6, 1889, the railway town was connected first by the Rock Valley Railway, followed by the Iowa & Dakota Railroad. The city was incorporated on March 8, 1892.
Doon has a population of 577, based on the 2010 census. This small town features many businesses, including a bank, restaurant, two Christian schools and is crossed by Iowa Highway 167 and U.S. Route 75.
City government is led by mayor Tim Mantel and city council members Josh Bakker, Jerry Keizer, Brian Denekas, Nathan Van Beek and Mark Mantel. Kristi Baker serves as city clerk.